Thursday 7 June 2012

Baby1 delivered

So today was the day I finally got to deliver a baby. It was a long day from 8.30-6.30 with no break. Let's just say the technique I learnt in England is not used here... They don't hang about. So when the baby is about to come they make the woman climb into another stretcher wheel her into a room that looks like something from the film hostel then she climbs onto another hard bed with stirrups. Then she has iodine and salon poured all over her and inside and the baby begins to come. Once it gets close I had to put my hands in to open the entrance with way to much force whilst pushing so hard on the perineum then when the head got near here I was told to grab on and pull and extend it before delivering the shoulders and clamping cutting the cord it was all so much more quick hands on and horrific than in England. The baby was ill but revived by the NICU team which are present at every birth it seems. I then delivered the placenta it was great experience but a shock. Then the doctor sutured the small tear without anaesthetic!!!!!!!

The rest of my day was 3 ruptured ectopic!!! In England where i was on placement they saw one every 3 months or so! All of the women were very ill with a tummy full of blood but all were alive by the time I left. There were a further two ectopic pregnancies being monitored who were currently stable. Last thing I saw was a twin pregnancy who has a c section for a twin suffering from growth restriction from twin-twin transfusion syndrome as they shared a placenta the other ha been absorbed into the placenta and had died earlier in the pregnancy. The baby was born at 29 weeks as the mother had severe preeclampsia.

We have come back and had a nice dinner at the house and relaxed before starting tomorrow and celebrated passing our year 4 exams!

Ps sorry if my english is bad I am typing from my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment