Tuesday 12 June 2012

Today has been a good day!

Day 7 on the ward and I feel finally accepted. I have felt comfortable to challenge some of there practices in a positive way and they have asked me about how it is in England!

I put four cannulas in on my first attempt... Something I haven't practiced enough! The first with one doctor holding the wrist up in the air, one saying that doctors in England don't do cannulas nurses do and another two watching me and to my prayers it went in first time to the vein! It's good to practice them before having to be so good at them when I qualify! I then did a delivery before another delivery. I let a local med student scrub for this as he had been up and down to the department 10 times trying to see a delivery and I remember how frustrating it was when I was doing the same a few months ago in England!

The doctor did an episiotomy (they have the lowest threshold for doing them and do them on all first time mums unlike the uk! Three other med student who were behaving inappropriately... There's a lot less respect ad dignity for patients! To my horror the doctor who looks after me came in and told me to suture up tw episiotomy which I managed with some guidance!!!!

The rest of the day I helped manage a severe preeclampsia patient, saw a cervical suture put in, and an induction. I also saw my fourth case of twin to twin transfusion syndrome! I'm beginning to understand that AIIMS just deals with much more complex conditions while other women go to the surrounding hospitals.

I know it sounds like in always putting the hospitals down... They do do a lot of hard work with what they have got but there is some major floors.

The girls also have moaned today about some things they saw. First the good stuff they heard a good going murmur, did lots of cannulas and saw a man who had swallowed a bottle d cockroach killer! They however said they saw a disturbing attempt at resuscitation where the doctors were fiddling around with intubation equipment rather doing chest compressions!

Anyway we are off to a cheap ish restaurant though it can't beat the 100 rupes burger and chips we had yesterday (£1.20)!!! I'll try and post a photo of us onto the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment