Friday 1 June 2012

Packing


Hello, I decided to write one of these things even though they are annoying as it will be easier to do this and include photos if possible that email everyone!

I don't know how often I will update but will try my best!

The last 2 days have been stressful as I try and organise my life for the next 11 weeks and 5 days into two small bags.

I am travelling with Iesha (who isn't as useful as she looks as she only speaks Punjablish which is half way between Punjabi and English and only spoken in a small part of India) and Sarah (who doesn't like spicy food or coconut!) who both have to put up with me moaning... but we all get on well and I have been to India before with Iesha in 2006. (Pic is from 1st term of 1st year).



I fly to Delhi tomorrow at 5pm where I will be staying for 2 weeks and working at the All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences, a government hospital and medical school in South Delhi.It is a huge hospital with about 2000 beds (about 5x ealing hospital/ 4x Kingston) and one of the most prestigious medical schools in the country.
I am doing paediatrics there and will probably see conditions that are rarely seen in this country because of antenatal screening as well as infectious diseases. People come to AIIMS from all over India and other parts of Asia as it is relatively cheap and has some of the best doctors.

I am staying at (hopefully) nice homestay called Serene Delhi to escape the hustle and bustle of Delhi in a southern suburb only 1 stop from the hospital called Green Park in a homestay (like a B&B).
At £12 a night it is expensive for India but will be nice to be able to escape what I have heard is a horrible city, it is also currently hot and the hospital doesn't have A/C! (Although it has cooled down from the 46 last week)

So hopefully I will write after my first few days working in India and let you all know how it is going!

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment